Managers should always be in the mindset to document everything. It may be difficult for managers to remember to record employee issues when they are so busy managing multiple areas. However, if litigation or arbitration arises, they will be thankful they took the time to write everything down.
Proper documentation by managers can:
- Reaffirm your position when the facts are called into question
- Provide a chronological exhibit of when events happened or didn’t happen
- Show when the Company acted appropriately and consistently with Company policies and procedures
- Serve as an evaluation of the Company’s management while ensuring compliance with the Company’s policies
- Open lines of communication between management and the employees, in so doing encouraging greater cooperation and performance by both parties