Selecting an arbitrator is the most essential step in an arbitration. Attorneys often miss opportunities to identify a suitable arbitrator putting themselves and their clients at a disadvantage.
What criteria should be involved when searching for the right arbitrator?
- Do your research on arbitrators, either online or through an arbitrator database
- How has the arbitrator ruled on similar cases?
- Is the arbitrator active in your industry?
- Does the arbitrator rule more often for management in contract interpretation versus discipline/discharge cases?
- Ask colleagues at other companies about their experiences with certain arbitrators