Employees often use social media to discuss their views on specific topics or express their displeasure over something work-related. As a manager, knowing what crosses the line is sometimes difficult.
Below is a checklist to review before bringing in your employee to discuss a social media post you may think is inappropriate.
- Did the employee make the post?
- Did the company appropriately access the post?
- Why is the post objectionable?
- Does the policy cover this post?
- Is the post protected activity? (terms and conditions of employment; inducing union action, complaining to management, enlisting support from co-workers)
- If protected, was the protection forfeited by being unlawful, insubordinate, or harms the employer?
- Is discipline proportionate to the offense?