Today’s negotiations are occurring with the overhang of diverse and complex issues impacting management. This includes sky-high labor expectations, worker shortages, and intense industry competition. What are some strategies for reaching a collective bargaining agreement that can be ratified in this type of environment?
- Do your research and understand competitive market conditions
- Have information on new hire rates, signing bonuses, and benefits, both nationally and locally so your company can be competitive in the marketplace
- Given the labor shortages that exist in many locations, companies may have to pay more than they want to in order to keep employees
- Calculate the cost of turnover and attrition
- Develop attractive new hire and retention programs
- The younger generation of employees value a better work-life balance than previous generations of workers so proposals that provide enhanced time off are likely to be well received